Sunday, August 17, 2014

In which I am Solely Responsible for my Son's Corruption (Part the First)

The other day I received this picture via text:

Yeah, he's going to need a better cutter.
I already got him a lighter because matches...too much work.

Along with the message "Well...am I cigar-ing correctly?"

I called him immediately, mainly because I was driving to work and the audio book* I had been listening to just finished. Starting a new one right away is like ending a relationship and starting a new one moments later. A small period of mourning must be observed.

Anyway, the other day he said he stopped by a cigar shop in his West Virginia town only to find them closed. Like, closed forever, not "Back in 5 minutes" closed or "On vacation" closed. Closed closed. Apparently he was all "Yay!" on his way there and "Boo!" upon his discovery.**

Then he found another humidor, which happened to be tucked into a liquor store. After a couple of misses (read: cigars that fell in the no-way-again category) he hit upon this Romeo y Julieta Vintage, which he loved.

He only recently started his cigar adventures because "Your blog makes me want to smoke cigars." Yay! Wait. Boo! No smoking! But then again, Yay!

His liking this RyJ makes sense. With an Ecuadorian Connecticut Shade wrapper, Mexican binder and Dominican filler, the Vintage is a "mild-to-medium bodied smoke," according to the company website. "The discerning*** smoker will never tire of this superlative cigar that is 'truly a cigar for special occasions.'"****

According to CI, "Introduced in 1993, the Vintage series is a luxury cigar, mild with a very round flavor and made in extremely limited supply."

Since I wasn't around while he smoked--well, on the phone, but obviously that's not helpful!--I went in search of a flavor profile descriptors, because I'm nice like that. "The cigar had a creamy, almost cappuccino flavor, with hints of cocoa that are just delicious," said the Stogie Guys. "I’ve found that in the past it seems as though mild cigars tend to burn a little hot, but this stogie also bucked that trend with it’s [sic] cool, easy pull. Combined with its flawless even burn and steady ash, this cigar was a true joy to smoke."

Don't tell him, but maybe, just maybe, a certain mom might be purchasing a certain box (or at least a shit-ton) of a certain cigar for a certain offspring. I'm not naming any names, though. Shhhhhh!

"Good night, good night. Parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow."
--Juliet (and me)



*The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness, the third book in the All Souls trilogy. Yes, you must read them in order. No, you will not be disappointed. Yes, I recommend the audio books. No, you will not fall asleep listening to an audiobook while you drive. Yes, I think that's a dumb statement when people say it.

**The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

***Well of course he is. See the sparkles above.**

****You know, like coming home to Mass for the first time in a year and a half.  If that ain't special, I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking for something special? Search the blog